The Base Recipe
2 cups roasted nuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1.5 tbsp oil (i'd suggest a light color oil, that won't impart a specific flavor to the nutbutter--canola works great)
1.5 tbsp honey
Roasted Nuts- Preheat the oven to 350. Roast nuts for 10 minutes.
Place nuts in the food processor. Start blending until smooth. In total will take about 10-12 minutes. After your mixture is smooth and creamy (this will happen as you blend the nuts, and oils are released), add your flavorings. Use the oil as needed to reach your desired texture / consistency.
Tips and flavor Ideas
- Make sure you have a high quality food processor. Mine is old and the blade is dull, so unfortunately, I was not able to reach the desired creamy texture I was hoping for as I could smell the motor of my food processor burning out for keeping it running for too long. Be careful of this!
- Roast the nuts yourself. The oils will release faster this way and you'll create a creamier butter, faster.
- Roast your nuts! Roasting develops the flavor of the nuts.
- Create your own unique flavor combinations and add in any extras you want for crunch, flavor, or even a nutritional boost.
- To make crunchy peanut butter, reserve around 1/2 cup of the nuts and blend in at the end.
- Maple Chia Sunbutter
Sunflower seeds, maple syrup instead of honey, add 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Chocolate Pretzel Peanutbutter
Peanuts, honey or agave syrup, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
- Vanilla Almond Espresso
Almonds, honey, 1 tbsp instant coffee, 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Honey Cashew